Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

DegreeWorks FAQ 

What is DegreeWorks?
“DegreeWorks” is a computerized degree audit program and academic advising tool designed to assist you and your counselor in reviewing your degree progress. A Web-based program, DegreeWorks re-organizes your transcript chronologically and categorically, easily identifying courses you have completed and what courses you still need in order to fulfill your degree requirements.
Why are the Coast Colleges using DegreeWorks?
DegreeWorks assists counselors in advisement meetings, provides for efficient advising and assists with course planning for students. DegreeWorks should be used to enhance face-to-face advisement meetings between counselors and students and to better track progress towards degree completion.

What are the benefits of using DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks will help you:
Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
View transfer credits, waivers, and exemptions applied toward degree.
See how your coursework could be applied toward another program of study, minor, or concentration using the ‘What If’ option.
Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
Learn the prerequisites and co-requisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers.

Who will be able to use DegreeWorks?
Counselors and students will be able to use the system as an advising tool to better follow the student's progress and determine which requirements are still needed.
How do I access DegreeWorks?
DegreeWorks can be accessed through the myCoast portal. After logging in, go to the Student Tab and click on Launch DegreeWorks. You will not need to log in again.
What do I do if my Program of Study is incorrect?
Your Program of Study determines the degree audit that shows on your worksheet. I can be updated during your counseling appointment.
What if information in DegreeWorks isn't up to date?
There could be many reasons that information in DegreeWorks is not up to date. One is that DegreeWorks may not have been refreshed since a change was made to your student record. Second, there could be some paperwork that must be completed. For example, if a grade change is pending, it is possible the form has not reached the Registrar's Office.

When can I use my DegreeWorks audit?

Use your DegreeWorks Audit when:
Reviewing your progress with an academic counselor.
Creating a list of questions to discuss with your counselor.
Identifying courses that need to be completed.
Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements.
Determining a projected graduation date.
Determining your Program of Study

When should a student/counselor review a degree audit?
A degree audit can be reviewed at any time but it is recommended to do so at least once a semester with a counselor. Students should also review their audit on their own, after the events below to ensure the correct changes have been captured:
Before registration.
After registration to ensure courses apply to program requirements.
After grades for each semester are posted.
Any time changes are made to a record.
Is DegreeWorks the same as my transcript?
No, DegreeWorks is an unofficial audit of your coursework, as well as an outline of requirements still needed to complete your program of study.
Can I see a list of all the classes I've taken?
Yes. On the Worksheet tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a printable list of courses (with grades) taken at the college as well as transfer courses.
Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?
No, DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress and in your academic history. Registration and drop/add are still handled through already-established procedures.
Can I access DegreeWorks from any computer?
Yes. DegreeWorks can be accessed on or off campus where is accessible.
Can I make changes to my academic information through DegreeWorks?
No, you must contact your counselor if changes need to be made.
Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?
Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in DegreeWorks.
Does the DegreeWorks audit show all my courses even if I have taken them elsewhere?
Yes, all courses transferred in from other colleges, taken in the military, or granted for Advanced Placement should show on your degree audit. Certain courses may not be applied to your program of study if you have exceeded the allowable number of credits under the residency requirement. Please be aware that these courses will not appear immediately as they have to be evaluated.
Why isn't my transfer work meeting a requirement?
There could be three reasons. First, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study. Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed. Third, the course may have not been transferred in yet, so make sure we have your most current transfer college transcripts.
What is the ‘What If’ feature?
The ‘What If’ function allows you to hypothetically change your program of study, minor, or emphasis (sometimes known as concentration). The What If audit will show you what coursework is required for the new program of study, minor, or emphasis, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.
If I run a ‘What if’ Analysis will that change my program of study?
No. You must see a counselor to change your program of study.
Can my counselor see my ‘What If’ scenario?
Since ‘What If’ scenarios are not stored on DegreeWorks, your counselor can only see your results if the two of you work through a ‘What If’ procedure together.
Why is my course not counting in the area I was expecting it to be in DegreeWorks?
DegreeWorks places the courses in accordance with the catalog. If the class is not where you were expecting, plan to meet with your counselor to discuss the degree requirements.
I think my audit is incorrect. What should I do?
Submit a DegreeWorks Support Request. We have done everything we could to make sure that your worksheet is correct. However, it is impossible for us to predict every unique situation or problem. We want to work with you to correct any issues as soon as possible.
My program of study is wrong and/or my program of study does not appear on my worksheet.
If this is the case, you need to contact your counseling department and update your program of study. Once the counselor enters the change, your correct information should appear on your worksheet.
The requirements for my program of study are wrong.
Look at the catalog term that appears on each of the blue bars that separate the sections of your worksheet. This is the catalog that we believe you’re using to complete your requirements. If you’re actually using older or newer requirements, complete a DegreeWorks Support Request. Once the changes are entered, the correct information will appear on your worksheet.
My transfer courses don't appear in the right place.
If you’re concerned about a course that should be used for your degree, contact your counselor about submitting a course substitution. The change will be made after the Registrar’s Office receives your approved course substitution form.
My counselor or department chair gave me permission to substitute a course, but it's not showing on my audit.
These changes take a while to process. You should check with your counselor to see that the change is going to be made, and then plan for it to show up in the future.
If none of these problems describes your situation, or if you need additional help identifying what’s wrong, complete a DegreeWorks Support Request.
Because some issues will require some research and possibly some reprogramming, please understand that we may not be able to correct your issue immediately. We do promise, though, that we will address it as quickly as possible and that we’ll contact you by e-mail as soon as we’re done.